The cluster-to-cluster project PERMIDES stimulates collaboration between biotech companies and IT companies. Its goal is to develop more innovative, personalized cancer treatments.
Oslo Cancer Cluster is currently involved in a big European collaboration through the cluster-to-cluster project PERMIDES.
24 May you can benefit from the project by joining the BIOMED INFORMATICS workshop in Oslo. This workshop brings together small and medium sized companies from the biopharma/medtech and IT sectors. (See the sidebar for more info on this event.)
PERMIDES aims to utilize novel IT-solutions to accelerate drug development in biotech companies. Biotechs and the healthcare sector generally lag in using IT in their everyday work.
Can get better at IT
“I know of companies who still manage their clinical trial studies using Excel. This is not a good idea. An Excel sheet may only hold a limited amount of data before it crashes and you lose everything”, says Gupta Udatha.
Udatha is the PERMIDES project leader in Norway. He divides his time between Oslo and Halden, where the NCE Smart Energy Markets-cluster is situated. This cluster is mainly involved in IT. Other clusters participating in the project are from Austria and Germany.
Ambitious goals for next year
Before PERMIDES ends in 2018, it aims to have reached some ambitious goals:
- 90 innovation projects between IT and biotechs will have received funding through a voucher system
- 120 IT companies and biotech companies will have benefited from technology transfer activities
- 75 enterprises will have participated in networking conferences at both regional and European levels
- 100 companies will have placed their profile in a semantic matchmaking portal: the PERMIDES platform
Find your ideal match
The PERMIDES platform is designed to match IT-companies and biotech companies. As a supplementary service, Gupta Udatha and others involved in PERMIDES are currently busy arranging matchmaking events all over Europe. They try to find the perfect match between IT- and biotech companies interested in collaborating on projects on personalized medical treatment.
Through PERMIDES voucher funding, a biotech company can avail services for up to 60 000 Euros from an IT-company. This gives them a market advantage in digitalizing their processes.
“The health care and biopharma sectors must understand that new IT solutions are the way forward. Tasks which a company may spend weeks and months doing, may easily be done by a few smart IT-solutions, in just few clicks, says Udatha.
Pursuing new EU-programs
PERMIDES is the first EU-project Oslo Cancer Cluster is involved in, but it will not be the last. Oslo Cancer Cluster is actively seeking new EU-projects to apply for.
This year, Oslo Cancer Cluster and Oslo Medtech, another health cluster in Norway, are looking into new EU-projects to apply for together. They have received support from the Norwegian Research Council, that wants more Norwegian institutions and companies to get involved in EU-projects.
“Hopefully, we will have landed ten new EU-project applications by 2019”, says Udatha.
What PERMIDES is
- Stands for Personalized Medicine Innovation through Digital Enterprise Solutions
- The project is for European small and medium sized enterprises in biotech and IT
- The aim is to strengthen the competitiveness and foster the innovation potential of personalized medicine as an emerging industry in Europe
- PERMIDES offers workshops, funding schemes and a matchmaking portal for the participating companies
- Read more on permides.eu
Clusters involved in PERMIDES
Oslo Cancer Cluster S.A (Norway)NCE Smart Energy Markets, c/o Smart Innovation Østfold AS (Norway)Software-Cluster c/o CyberForum e.V. (Germany)Cluster für Individualisierte ImmunIntervention (Ci3) e.V. (Germany)Intelligent views GmbH (Germany)NETSYNO Software GmbH (Germany)Oncotyrol – Center for Personalized Cancer Medicine GmbH (Austria)IT-Cluster – Business Upper Austria, OÖ Wirtschaftsagentur GmbH (Austria)